Monday, April 23, 2012

Lights! Camera! Action!

Thinking of movies from my childhood takes me back to a place of no worries. Being able to stand next to the television pretending I'm Ariel off the Little Mermaid. Singing at the top of my lungs about being "out of the sea, part of that world". Although I would like to imagine myself being a cute red head with an awsome body its not what I feel is the movie of my generation.



The movie that I feel that has defined my generation has to be the Scream series. Although the series is obviously not one movie I can't help but remember the first time I saw the movie itself.  We are too old for Disney and too young for Throw Mama from the Train. The first time I heard that voice over the phone talking to Drew Barrymore before she had her insides pulled outside I knew that there was no way that I would be caught on a friday night alone again.



Scream broke all the rules in scary movies. The killer wasn't supposed to be the heart throb of the movie and the bitchy reporter wasn't supposed to get her five minutes of fame. They were both supposed to die! However scream changed all that. You quickly found that the cute blonde died first and the ballsy brunette won out in the end. Scream redefined how we looked at our lives and made us wonder...Could my boyfriend be a serial killer?



Continuing with the next four trillogies I can't say that todays generation will be defined by their version of Scream...Scream 4 in which the killer uses modern technology to show case the killers blood bath but those of us Scream veterans will always have a place in our hearts for billy...the boyfirend even though we may not want to admit it

2 comments:

  1. I can't say I completely agree with you on that Scream is the movie of our generation. Not a lot of people I know have seen the Scream movies. To me it seems that its more of just a scary movie that you can watch with your friends if you want a good scare but it's to predictable and I don't think our generation is predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you dont feel that scream is the movie of our generation then what movie would you suggest.

    ReplyDelete